Contest & Events
2017 Poetry Contest
The GCWL is sponsoring a contest for adult poets, 18 and older, in the community. (Past or present members and guest critics, are not eligible to enter.)
- Any theme or form, no more than 40 lines per poem.
- Poets may submit up to 3 unpublished poems.
- Submit two clean copies of each poem, 1 with name, telephone, address and email, the other with no contact information, just the poem alone.
- All entries typed. No handwritten submissions.
- Entry fee of $3 per poem submitted must accompany submission, check, money order, or via PayPal only, payable to GCWL. Mail to GCWL, c/o 3019 Veazey Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45238 or direct payment via PayPal to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entries must be postmarked no later than November 1, 2017.
- For a list of winners, include SASE with entry.
- Top three poems: Poets will be invited to present their winning poems in a public reading at our annual Awards Banquet in December, and each will receive a one-year free membership in the GCWL, including 10 two-hour workshops with the best critics and teachers in town! For those who don’t already know all there is to know about writing effective poetry, this is the most grand prize of all!
- Money! $75 for first prize, $50 for second, $25 for third.
2017 Awards Banquet
Not a banquet in the culinary sense, our December meeting is more a poet’s pot luck dinner actually, and a poetry smorgasbord too. Members, critics, spouses and guests are encouraged to bring a favorite poem—their own or something from the literature—for a read-around celebrating poetry. Highlight of the evening is the presentation of contest winners who will present their successful entries.
Will occur in December 8, 2017, in the Hermitage Room in The Regency. Follow the link on any page for a map and directions. Any questions about the contest or banquet, contact Joanne Greenway at email@example.com or by phone, 513-922-3550.